Monday, April 8, 2013

The perfect house.

"In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so I would have told you. (Side note: I LOVE that Jesus does not omit things from us.) I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:2,3 NKJV

I dream about the perfect house. I spend time on Pinterest just looking at pictures of things I love and would want in my dream home. Outside of my hubby, having a dream home is perhaps the thing I want most in this life. But, God is realigning my priorities. After all, He's worthy. And that doesn't just mean worthy of my praise, it means He's worthy to have the final say so. Worthy to interrupt my life and do with it as He pleases. Worthy to govern it as He sees fit.

This is a new, well, fairly new concept for me. He spoke it to my heart a few years ago and it's taken this long for to me to be a willing participant. LOL! Oh how we fight our flesh!

The truth is I want security, comfort and beauty. All three of which are most certainly found in Jesus Christ. I see now that my desire for the perfect home is simply a desire for these three things. God is taking my desire to look upon beauty in this life and exchanging it for looking upon the beauty of His Son, Jesus.

"One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek, inquire for, and insistently require: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord (in His presence) all the days of my life, to behold and gaze upon the beauty (the sweet attractiveness and the delightful loveliness) of the Lord and to meditate, consider, and inquire in His temple." Psalm 27:4 Amplified

I think our quest to possess beauty in this life, whatever form that may take, often lands us in a heap of trouble.

"Do not love or cherish the world or the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh (craving for sensual gratification), the lust of the eyes (greedy longings of the mind) and the pride of life (assurance in one's own resources or in the stability of earthly things)--these do not come from the Father but are from the world itself. And the world passes away and disappears, and with it the forbidden cravings (the passionate desires, the lust) of it; but he who does the will of God and carries out His purposes in his life abides (remains) forever." 1 John 2:15,16 Amplified

Yet, when we surrender our desires to God and trust Him we can know true freedom. I have found this simple formula soooo beneficial to my life and ultimately, to my peace of mind: If God wants me to have it, I will have it. If not, it's because it's not what is best. God ALWAYS wants what is best for me. He has the greatest depth of character, the most amazing amount of goodness and generosity in His heart. He promises He has good thoughts, good intentions and good plans for me.  (See Jeremiah 29:11, Psalm 139:17,18) I am confident of this because I KNOW HIM. I have become convinced of His goodness and have faith in it.

So if I never have my "dream home" in this life it's ok because:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in and steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21 NASB

                                                                            AND

I have the perfect house in heaven that my Jesus is preparing just.for.me.

1 comment:

  1. I especially love this line: God is taking my desire to look upon beauty in this life and exchanging it for looking upon the beauty of His Son, Jesus.

    Whatever it takes, he will do it to ensure our eternity with him. He is good!

    xoxo
    elise

    ReplyDelete